02 July 2010

twilight weddings

If you know me well, you know there is little in life that I enjoy discussing more than a wedding. You also know that I am obsessed like a 14 year old girl with everything and anything Twilight Saga. Yesterday I got to see Eclipse (so good) on the IMAX (so BIG!) at Providence Place Mall.

Before discussing the actual movie, let me quickly recap what the IMAX theater experience was like. It was the first time I had seen a movie on the giant screen, and wasn't sure what to expect. Neither was D. She was concerned about seeing every detail minus her glasses. As soon as we got there, she commented that not having them was clearly not an issue. What is difficult is trying to take it all in at once. We were about 7 rows back and in the center. Next time, we'll probably take it back a few more rows. The matinee was $12 and well worth the extra few bucks for the opportunity to see Edward's beautiful face at about 30 feet tall.

OK...so the movie. Was it as good as the book? not really...it never can be. Was it awesome? absolutely. The tent scene was as promised. The Jacob kiss- beautifully shot, but I just keep thinking he's so manipulative. (Clearly I am not Team Jacob. Sorry S.) The graduation party and the fights looked just as they did in my imagination. What I was expecting was just a little more of Bree Tanner, given her 200 page book and all. Though, it was details of that book that gave us the Riley scenes in the beginning. Poor Riley.

Now, let's talk about decapitation. It happens in this book. I remember being somewhat shocked the first time I came upon that. David Slade illustrated this in a really cool, sort of gross, but not disgusting way. The shattering noise fx were the best part of the vampire fights...something breaks, you hear this cool shattering sound instead of the goopy, bloody sound fx we usually hear when limbs go flying in movies. (How do I know this?) Edward's sparkly skin worked well in this movie, too. Something I wish for more of...Seth's character development, especially how he and Edward work so well together. Hopefully in Breaking Dawn....

Speaking of: My very favorite part of this movie is definitely the engagement scene (and can you imagine it as a rated R movie...ooooh!) and the final scene with the wedding planning. I found this online, and it just brought my daydreams of the Breaking Dawn wedding into even clearer detail. InStyle is already one of my favorite mags, but the fact that they have 10 designers envisioning Bella's wedding gown for me, well, that just elevates them. I think the Monique Lhulliher is my favorite, but there are a few cool designs in there. Christian Serriano is just fierce, you know he's in to the saga and this assignment. One of the sketches is just odd. See if you can tell which one baffles my mind. And, if you know anything about that designer....please let me know what I am missing!

Meanwhile, go see the movie. Buy the soundtrack (fantastic). I am off to download some more of Sia's songs....she is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

mini etsy